Thursday 31 May 2012

Some things I couldn't fit in synopsis

ZERO WASTE

My goal for this project was to teach myself how to make zero waste. I wanted to create three main pieces. Firstly a piece that LOOKED zero waste therefore was draped and grain lines etc were not a main issue. This is present in the Micah jacket where the overall aesthetic is baggy and urban/modern. Secondly I wanted to create a piece that DID NOT look zero waste and followed a similar traditional aesthetic. Hence, the Jaycen shirt that has a very similar structure to your traditional men's shirt and fells the same on the body. This shows that zero waste can be tailored and made to measure. Lastly I wanted to show how SIMPLE zero waste could be. This is shown in the Duncan pants where there are few seams and the pattern is extremely simple. Fit is slightly compromised due to the lack of seams however if I combined some aspects I used in Jaycen shirt I believe I could get the fit I wanted. I believe the three samples do show the beginnings of these ideas.

ALAIN IN THE MARKETPLACE

I anticipate (and hope) that zero waste will take off in the next few years. I am so happy and excited to be learning and engaging with these techniques at such a budding time in its life. I wanted Alain to tap into that market who are growing up with an understanding of climate change and the need to be sustainable. I believe that this type of person would effectively engage and promote the brand bringing about a craze in this style of dressing. Alain would work best as a diffusion line to an established line because you would need to firstly get customers asking questions (educating) therefore being in well established store like area 51 or Good as Gold /being on a well established website to get these connections. Imagine if Alain was a diffusion label to Toms shoes. Just that first connection between the successful brand and Alain would enhance this area/time for education and therefore understanding of zero waste pattern. I would love to go deeper into this project by first outlining why zero waste does not work/why people say it doesn't and making a collection inspired by this. Whenever I have spoken to people about this project and the fact I am doing zero waste they say "don't all the garments look the same? Aren't they all baggy and ill shaped?" I would really like to challenge these questions and make a statement of why zero waste should be in the market place. I believe it wouldn't just fuel the design and environment but also the cost of production.

No comments:

Post a Comment